Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Song etc.

Dear Garrett,
Another great Canadian treat (the first being ham, which they invented, and the second being Diamond Rings).  This guy is right up our shared ally:  a singular, rich voice, set against a prominant guitar with songs that are languid (though never lazy, never slight) and menacing.  He doesn't write lullabies.  I could make comparisons (a solo Dan Auerbuch meets Bonnie Prince Billy meets an "I Break Horses" Bill Callahan meets, um, Jeff Buckley if Jeff Buckley played around with folk and weren't allowed to falsetto), but I'm bad at them and the bands I like most often avoid strict comparisons anyway.  Listen:


And a real video:


His songs are somewhat varied.  You'll find more here ("Trouble Comes Knocking" is like a desperate, lonely slow dance that belongs on Twin Peaks)  and a few lives ones at NPR.

Love,
J. Benny

P.S.  What I mean by Twin Peaks:

No comments:

Post a Comment