Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

A New Happy Birthday Song

Dear Garrett,
Here is a happy birthday gift, special for you. They are perhaps my new favorite band, which I've been hiding from you and Kristin and the world. Actually, I already showed Kristin. Hi Kristin!

(Happy birthday Garrett.)

They're called GROUPLOVE (although they may not be capitalizing the whole name anymore) and they're fro LA and I'm excited for their existence.  I'm sure you're not surprised.  They're slightly grating with large chunks of rock and hints (hints) of country and screams and clapping.  I taste Mountain Goats and Neutral Milk Hotel and something peppy.  There's talking and awkward repetition.  These are things I like. 


And, um, a Nirvana something (bass/guitar/cheer)?  Maybe ?  Sometimes they sing about the beach.  Which, I mean, isn't one of my things.  But it don't hate it.  There's a (Weezery) jauntiness there.  I even sense a little 90s Wallflowers in Getaway Car, which actually was my thing when I was fifteen. 

Anyway, it's a little early to call it love.  They've got about five songs to their name.  Still, I think I've got a lasting crush.

Love,
J. Benny

No comments:

Post a Comment